What's the (dairy) alternative?



Lots of us are balancing our dairy consumption with dairy-free choices; this is for a variety of reasons including health, animal welfare or environmental concerns. This rise in consumption and interest in alternatives is evidenced by the plethora of choices now available to us in the supermarkets and in coffee shops. But speaking to my friends it can be difficult to make the right choice in terms of taste.

Personally, I find:

Best for coffee & tea: Soy or oat 
I find soy or oat best in coffee & tea as their flavour doesn't overpower the coffee and they still have a creamy taste. I find that the stronger flavour of coconut and almond interferes too much.

Best for cereals: Oat 
Again the base flavour of oats doesn't overpower the flavour of my cereal and there's a nice creamy taste.

Best for soaked oats: Coconut or almond 
I love both coconut and almond flavours and feel that the rich flavour of these drinks enhances my enjoyment of the oats. 

But it really is down to personal taste. So if you're thinking about choosing a plant-based dairy alternative get the low down on the nutritional value:

This article by the Standard offers some nice recommendations for their top 10: Vegan and dairy-free the best dairy alternatives



If you'd like to follow us:


               


             



Comments